This is an odd one! It’s my strange baby fuzz hair!

One of those pregnancy perks that we all hope to experience is thick, shiny, gorgeous, commercial-worthy hair, right? Along with the glow of expectancy, there is a shadow of hope that we may feel like a super model for a few short months with this luxurious mane!

Then, all to soon, the postpartum hair loss hits. Your once rope like ponytail will sadly again become a scrawny rats tail and the advice everywhere is that this is a totally normal part of life after baby.

What nobody warned me about however, was the postpartum hair growth!

I have this weird halo of short frizzy hair around my head! When my hair is tied up (which it usually is or the little guy would pull it all out when he is feeding) it looks like my head is glowing…I have this ginger aura around my head, every day.

How have only just noticed this phosphorescent phenomenon, 11 months postpartum. I guess the fuzz has just reached a length that is more noticable, and impossible to tame. I was wondering why I had started looking like I had a serious case of bed hair…all day long.

Here’s the science!

On average, hair grows about 6 inches in a year. Every hair goes through three phases.

General Hair Growth Cycle

Cycle of hair growth (Credit: More’s)

Anagen is an active growth phase of which approximately 85% of the hairs on your head are going through at any one time. A hair in this phase grows for one to six years. Have you struggled to grow your hair past a certain length? This is down your anagen phase, and how long your hair spends in this growth period.

Catagen is essentially a transitional phase where the hair is cut off from its nourishing blood supply. The hair stops growing at this point.

Telogen is a resting phase. The hair lies dormant in the follicle for up to 100 days. Once telogen is complete, anagen can start up again and produce a new hair. This pushes out the old hair and you see what you might call shedding.

Up to 10% of hairs are in the resting phase at any one time…that translates to up to 100 precious hairs washing down the drain or taking up residence in your hair brush every single day!!

Hormones again…

During pregnancy, the increased level of estrogen keeps hair in the growth phase for longer. Your hair keeps growing and growing and growing! More hairs than the usual 85% are in this active growth phase at any given time, meaning less hairs enter the shedding phase…the result is thicker more luxurious hair.

Once baby is born, estrogen levels begin to drop…and that’s when you notice what seems like totally abnormal and massive hair loss, and start to panic! All of those hairs that stayed in active phase have to fall out eventually and now is the time. The switch up in hormone levels allows hairs to continue into the telogen phase and start to shed. All of those hairs that you didn’t shed for the last year suddenly start falling out 3-4 months postpartum.

And then…

6 months to 1 year after the arrival of the bundle, with any luck, your hormones are behaving sensibly and your hair should have settled back into a more normal growth cycle…new hairs start to push through and you may start to notice the not so cute, baby fuzz halo of un-tamable hair at the nape of the neck, the sides of the head, temples and forehead.

No slick ballerina bun for me!

So those bad hair days may not be over just yet!

There really isn’t anything you can do to alter the course of nature and those darned hormones, but there are steps you can take to preserve hair and cover up the areas most affected.

How to help the problem of thinning hair:

• Continue taking pre-natal vitamins or supplements after the birth and throughout breast-feeding as well as eating a healthy diet.
  • Be gentle, don’t wrap wet hair in a towel, the weight of the towel can drag at delicate hairs. Use a de-tangling conditioner, and comb hair through with care.
  • Try to let hair dry naturally when possible, save the blow-dry or styling tongs for special occasions.
  • Try a new hair cut, a good stylist will know how to cut hair to make it look thicker and fuller, with layers, a new parting, bangs or a fringe, and will advise on the right products to use.
  • Tinted hair powders, a glossing treatment or lightening and lifting up your hair colour may all help to camouflage thinning areas.

Remember also, if you think your hair-loss is excessive and not a normal for postpartum shedding, it may be worth booking a blood test to check for thyroid and hormonal imbalances.

Did you experience lovely, thick and luxurious hair when you were pregnant, only to watch it fall out once your little one was born? Have you also got the baby fuzz halo??? Let me know…

1. KristaOwl says:

Thank you SO much! I thought it was just me with the crazy wispy bits all around my hairline! I’ve been using my husband’s gel to try and tame it! It never occurred to me it was to do with having a baby. You’ve made me feel much better about it, though I must admit I look pretty weird and I hope it grows quickly. X

• wildandwisdom says:

Ahh I’m so glad to help! There really is very little on postpartum re-growth. When you think about it though it makes sense that the new hair has to start somewhere! Although that doesn’t help us trying to deal with the frizz everyday. It will get better x

2. Valerie says:

I think my hair started behaving “normally” again by about 9-10 months PP (as in, it didn’t keep falling out after that). It has never really been exactly the same since having kids, though. I have whispy/frizzy hairs that weren’t there pre-children. 😛 It’s nice to know the science behind it!! Great article. :)

• wildandwisdom says:

Thank you for reading! 9 months of shedding hair must have felt like an eternity. I always feel so much better once I have the technical/scientific bit on my side, so it’s great to share it!! These whispy bits seem to be just another badge of motherhood!!

3. Anna says:

Yes i got the baby fuzz! when my baby was 6.5 months i went for a cut and color (obre style) my baby hair was so dark it looked crazy.. It had been growing in blonde and i didnt notice it that color. Our bodies are pretty amazing.

• wildandwisdom says:

It’s such a funny thing, all of a sudden you realise there is this weird hair growing all around your head doing its own thing!! I’ve been thinking of a total restyle and maybe some ombré colouring too!! The fuzzy baby hair halo has turned into a full on bob, growing underneath my long hair, it’s crazy!!!

4. Lisa K says:

I’ve looked at pictures of myself from 4 months PP and I looked like I was going bald. Now, looking in the mirror, I’d sooner have that! I’m 7 months PP and I have an inch of fur growing all around my face. I have to keep my hair back for work and obvi bc of the little one, so basically I look like a lion. Help? Anyone!?!?

5. Jessica says:

I’m so glad I found this article! I have crazy baby hairs around my hair line that stick out and curl. My LO is now 10 months old and it just started becoming noticeably bad about a month ago. They drive me insane, and no hairstyle hides them!

6. Marie says:

I’m so happy to come across this. Only been the last few days I’ve noticed this inch of fuzz!! I kept wondering why my hair was looking a right mess! Then it noticed the fuzz. At the beginning I thought I had burnt my hair off with straighteners or something. Had to do a bit of googling & found this. My son is 9 months old so it seems this is the stage we notice the fuzz growth. It’s at it’s wildest at this stage it seems! Thanks for the really informative post & can you update us on what you’re hair is like now a few months on??
    M x

• wildandwisdom says:

Glad you found the article useful! I’m a bit further down the line than you now and it does get a bit more manageable!! It’s still not quite right though. The fuzzy halo is now a shoulder length bob, while the rest of my hair is several inches longer. Definitely easier to style than the fuzz though!!! Good luck taming yours!!!

7. Mandy says:

OMG thank you! I thought I was the only one and I was turning into a hairy beast.
    It is so strange because at the beginning of my pregnancy I had thyroid issues and my eyebrows thinned out/lost length and my forehead grew 2 inches with hair loss :”(
    Around the third trimester my hair was thicker but the eyebrows and hairline were the same.
    Around 13 months PP it started to grow back but not as expected; in fact the hairline is quite coarse and unmanageable at times. I use Argan Oil and John Frieda’s Anti frizz cream seems to help. I really like Wen Almond Mint styling creme. however I don’t want a subscription to have it.
    Hope this helps other mommies.
    Much Love <3

8. Ursula says:

Thank you for this article! I was so worried when my hair started coming out as it didn’t happen so much with my first! My 2nd son is now 1year old and my fuzz is about 3 inches long. I put in a fringe to try and cover it but now I look like I have a mullet which isn’t the look I was going for :-/ also when I put it up which is most of the time (did I mention the MULLET when it’s down) I have what I can only describe as wings! So I have no hair style rescue style. Any tips to tame the wings would be greatly appreciated!

9. delia says:

Hi i am 7 months postpartum and been losing hair from 3 months postpartum ,i had thyroid checked was normal,is it normal to lose hair for this long and when does it stop does it start to decrease first?have noticed new hairs sticking up along hairline,can u shed hair at the same time as new ones are coming in?

10. Christine says:

So happy to find this blog post as I have the 11 month postpartum baby fuzz glow going on too. so annoying as I am a yoga teacher so my hair is up for work a lot and I have these funny new short hairs sticking out. oh well – at least I know i”M not alone. thanks!

11. Ann Spencer Heathco says:

I have an 8 year old, a 5 year old and a 15 month old. I am in the throws of the 4 inch undergrowth right now! For the 3rd time. And all the rest of my “thin looking” hair goes down well past my shoulders…
    It is certainly frustrating! I know the mullet description is all too accurate! LOL! To top it off my hair is naturally curly and all my little curls push back my long big curls! The only way to tame the mane has been to flat iron. They blend in well when my hair is down and smooth. Also, the style of braid “headbands” helps. To put a small french braid along the front an inch or so in helps keep them tucked in and styled when I pull my hair back. Otherwise, it’s a running headband and ponytail for me! I’ve thought of a new do as well, as it would be nice to grow it out more evenly, but I’m waiting on that one, as I do like my length! Happy mothering! One things is for sure – the little ones are worth EVERY bit of hardship! SO many pleasures being a mommy brings! And I love the thought of a fuller healthy head of hair again soon! So thankful to grows back! :)

12. Nelly says:

Thank you for posting this, really really makes me feel a lot better about this phase of PP, I started losing hair about 3.5 months my baby is now 4 months 1 week old…. I have (n still am) depresses about it, my bday is around the corner and I the hair loss is noticeable (to me, not to my hubby) I really want this stage to end. Although it seems that the hair loss has decreased, I am looking forward to the grow cycle to be honest, it will give me some relieve… I am also starting to take my prenatal a again since I heard it helps too and of course eating healthy is the best in this cases.
    Thank you again dear, this article made my day!!!
    Very positive and real from the heart

• wildandwisdom says:

Hi there. Thanks for your kind words. I’m glad my article was of help to you. Your hair will get there in it’s own time , like you are doing keep taking care if your body from the inside and I’m sure although it can be slow, it will recover x

13. Jd says:

Very happy to have found this article and see that i’m not the only one going through this….although, this is happening to me during pregnancy. I’m at 35 weeks now and have noticed this “crown” of hair for a few weeks already…i call it krusty the clown syndrome. It annoys me like you cannot believe, i tried hair spray, using the flat iron, simply hair blowing and leaving it dry naturally and it all comes out the same…with a halo of frizzy hair. I didn’t get this during my first pregnancy and am having a harder time all together this pregnancy with having water retention, carpel tunnel syndrome, arthritis in my finger joints, a lot of back pain…so this is like the cherry on top :o( i am looking forward at giving birth and to start feeling like my old self again. Hopefully i’ll be able to tame my hair sooner rather than later :o)

• wildandwisdom says:

Oh goodness. Sounds like this second pregnancy has been incredibly difficult. The body goes through so much. I’m glad you found the article, you are in good company with your fuzzy hair, so many people seem to be writing to me relieved it’s just a normal part of having children! Hope you are doing well now. X

14. Sam says:

So I’m not going crazy! Good!! My wispy hairs are unmanageable and I thought I would try a headband, only to put it on and remember I have a HUGE forehead so that’s not attractive. I could have showered that day or 2 days ago and either way my hair looks like I have slept on it wet! It’s maddening! I’m taking Biotin, which seems to have sped the growth up some, but it’s still at an unruly length. At least I’m not alone and I’m not going crazy. I couldn’t figure out what had caused it but your article actually makes perfect sense. Thank you!

• wildandwisdom says:

You aren’t going crazy, I just looked back at all of the previous comments and it seems like one of those things that doesn’t get spoken about much…but it happens to so many of us. Glad the article helped you out. As a bit of a follow up I am 2.5 years pp and just had my hair cut to shoulder length bob…finally all one length!!!

Please add your thoughts and comments, it makes me happy!